Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Building the greenhouse part one...

This posting starts with a picture of a lot of painted pieces of wood, -why ?! Well I just want to remember the nice feeling it was when I finished painting them. Let me tell there was A LOT of wood and they all had to be painted with one layer of oil and then two layers of a very strong greenhouse paint that took forever to dry. I could only paint one side at a time, then wait one day before turning the pieces to paint the other side. One batch took me 5 days to finish. Everything had to be done inside because of the slow drying process. I painted 2 hours every day for one month and then the painted wood had to harden for another month.




The wall had already been made and finally we could start to mount some of the pieces of the greenhouse. It was just so exciting...




Half of the rafters mounted...




Today's work done. All the rafters are up.

In Denmark we have a tradition of having a party when raising the roof tree: beer and hot dogs. So family was invited and flowers were hung by the rafters. We all sat down and enjoyed the moment. Well the others sat down, I just had to walk in and out of the greenhouse.. such a good moment...




Now I just cant wait to see it finished.

Oh and I forgot to tell you it is measures 8 by 4,2 m on the inside. 35 square meters.

2 comments:

Annika said...

Lots of work, but it does look like a great green house! Good job! /Annika

SuitablyCool said...

Hello from Toronto Canada. Thank you for sharing your great greenhouse project and for your stunning site. The photos are always bright and airy, the projects are always charming and are beautifully finished. I am in the process of putting up a fence in our side yard in my first home and have been feeling a bit intimidated by the process- but this article has inspired me, especially the get together afterwards!